How do I use the Files app on my iPad or iPhone?
Before I start
To use Files there are a number of things that I take into account.
- I ensure that my iPhone and iPad have iOS11 or higher.
- iCloud is set and iCloud Drive is enabled.
- I check if I am logged in on all my devices with the same Apple ID.
When this is all correct, I use Files.
In Files I add files from other apps such as Dropbox and Google Drive. This way I have my photos and files in one place.
- For example, I download Dropbox and set this app on my iPad.
- Now I open the Files app.
- I tap Locations → Change*.
- I tap the slider next to Dropbox.
- Finally, I tap Done. Now I also have access to my Google Drive files in the Files app.
Move iCloud Drive files
Move iCloud Drive files On iPad, moving files is easy.
- I open the Files app.
- Now I tap Select and tap the file that I want to move.
- Then I choose the folder where I want to move the file.
Move files from the cloud of other apps
- I open the Files app and open the file that I want to move.
- Then I click on Share or the symbol with the square and arrow at the top right of the screen.
- Then I click on Copy.
- Now I open the folder where I want the file.
- I press hard on the screen and choose Paste from the options.
Create new folder
- I go to Locations in the Files app.
- Now I click on the cloud facility where I want to add a folder. For example Google Drive.
- I swipe down on the screen with the files.
- Then I tap on the folder with the plus symbol.
- Finally, I enter the name of the new folder and click on Done.