Advice on paper shredders
Why a paper shredder?
The use of a paper shredder is recommended:
- to prevent identity fraud
- if there is an obligation to destroy company information or personal data
** How secure do you want to destroy documents? ** The safety norm for paper shredders is divided into 6 classes, ranging from regular shredding (strips) to irrecoverable shredding (micro shreds). Below, you can find out which shredding norm fits your situation.
DIN P-2: Simple destruction for home use
- Documents will be made hard to read
- Strips are < 6mm
- Roughly 38 strips per A4 sheet
DIN P-3: For destroying personal data
- Documents will be shredded and will then be difficult to restore
- Shreds are 4x50mm
- Roughly 320 shreds per A4 sheet
DIN P-4: Used by lawyers and notaries
- Documents are irrecoverably shredded
- Shreds are 4x38mm
- Roughly 421 shreds per A4 sheet
DIN P-5: Used by the government and the Ministry of Defense
- Documents are irreparably destroyed
- Snippers are 2 x 15 mm
- Approximately 1000 shreds per A4
General Personal Data Regulation (GDPR)
Since May 25, 2018, a new law applies for dealing with personal data. The careful destruction of data on paper is part of GDPR. Do you want to know what you pay attention to and how best to proceed with the General Data Protection Regulation?
How many people will use a paper shredder?
It's important to know how many people will be using the paper shredder, because capacity differs quite a bit between machines. Specifically, processing a shredding order may take some time. That's why you should mind the following points:
- The number of sheets that can be entered at a time
- The capacity of the container
- Automatic input function during shredding
- The time a machine can shred non-stop, and how long it takes to cool down
How often do you use a paper shredder?
The amount of use is an important aspect of the type of machine you need to choose. Some machines have an automatic paper input, making the process smoother and allowing you to continue with other activities. The machine will do all the work.
Go for entry-level models that fit under or next to your desk.
- Input capacity 5 to 20 sheets at a time
- sump tray up to 20 liters
A middle segment for a small office or office department
- Input capacity of 20 to 150 sheets at a time
- 20 to 60 liter bin
- Optional with automatic document feeder function
Choose from paper shredders for a larger office
- Input capacity of 100 to 500 sheets at a time
- Container capacity between 60 to 100 liters
- Function for automatic document feeder is recommended
Where is the paper shredder located?
A paper shredder is a true workhorse. The blades are powered by a motor, the consequence of which is they can be pretty noisy. Fortunately, machine casings are increasingly built with that in mind. Looking for a machine that will disturb your colleagues as little as possible during work? Look for a machine that produces less than 60dB of sound. This is about the same as a dishwasher or washing machine in operation. If you only rarely use the paper shredder, or if it's in a closed place, or farther away from workplaces, it's less important to pay attention to this.
The name "paper shredder" is a bit of a misnomer, actually, since there are quite a few machines that shred staples and paper clips in addition to paper. Which is very convenient, since it obviously saves a lot of time to not have to remove those beforehand. Some machines can also safely destroy CDs and credit cards, and certain paper shredders can even handle USB flash drives. In the product filter links, check the boxes for what you'd like to shred.
- paper clips
- credit cards
- USB flash drives
What do you need with a paper shredder?
Never want to be bothered by shreds lying around anymore?
When you're using a suitable container bag, emptying your paper shredder's container will be a piece of cake, since all paper shreds will be neatly contained in the container bag. You'll then be able to simply remove it and throw it in the regular paper trash.
Do you want to enjoy your paper shredder for a long time?
Special lubricating oil is available for paper shredder blades. A drop of oil every now and then ensure your paper shredder will keep working like a charm. Want to make things even easier for yourself? Use oil sheets. Just run a sheet through the shredder, and your blades will be lubricated again.
Got any questions, or would you like more advice on paper shredders? Our customer service is at your disposal 7 days a week.