How do you install a Canon printer with a PC or laptop?
You can install your printer and print your first sheet in no time. You can do this via the following steps.
- Step 1. Prepare the printer
- Step 2. Insert cartridges and choose language
- Step 3. Determine grids and align the scanner
- Step 4. Install the software
- Step 5. Open the software
- Step 6. Connect
The installation process takes approximately 20 minutes. What do you need?
- Your Canon printer
- Your laptop or computer
- A stack of paper
- A printer cable (optional)
Note: we used the Canon PIXMA MG5750 for this article. The installation process of other Canon printers is almost identical. If you encounter differences during installation, check the manual of your printer.
Step 1: prepare the printer
Leave the connector of the printer out of the socket.
- Remove your Canon printer from its packaging and remove all tape and transport material. Also make sure that you remove any protective material on the inside of the printer. Make sure you look at the manual so you don't forget any material.
- Insert the connector into the socket to power the printer.
- Place paper in the paper tray.
- Turn on the printer.
Step 2: insert the cartridges and choose the language
- Insert the cartridges and a stack of paper. The printer is now ready for use.
- Select the printer language.
Step 3: determine grids and align the scanner
- The printer first prints a print to determine the frames. This means that the printer determines where it prints on the paper. Check if you're satisfied with the print. If not, reset the grids.
- Place the PCB on the scanner to align the scanner.
Step 4: install the software
You have connected your printer. Now we are going to make sure that your computer can control the printer. We install software from Canon for this.
- Go to Canon.nl/support in your browser.
- Enter the product name of your printer in the search bar, or select the correct printer family from the list under 'select product', for example PIXMA, i-SENSYS or MAXIFY. On the next page, you can choose the right line and the exact model. The model and number of your printer can be found on the front of the device, on the box, and in the manual.
- In the green frame, select the operating system on which you want to install the printer under Drivers, such as Windows 10 or MacOS High Sierra. Right below it, click on 'Download'.
Step 5: open the software
Open the file and follow the steps. In the second step, choose whether you want to connect via WiFi or with a printer cable. Installing the software can take a few minutes.
Step 6: connect to WiFi
Step 6.1: connect via WiFi
To connect to WiFi, follow either the steps through the Canon software or you use the printer to connect. Connecting to the printer is the easiest option.
- Go to 'Settings' on your printer and then Device settings and to Wireless LAN settings.
- Select default settings or set without cable.
- Select the name of your network. This is also called SSID.
- Enter the password of your WiFi network.
- Press the OK button.
Step 6.2: connect via a printer cable (optional)
If you prefer to connect your printer with a printer cable instead of using WiFi, choose this option in the installation software. The rest of the installation is the same as in the previous steps.
Your printer is installed. You can start making your first print.