How do I find my Apple AirPods when they're lost?
*What am I going to do? Find my Apple AirPods.
- What devices can you use this explanation for? Any iPhone with iOs 10 or higher.
- How long will it take? Following the instructions and locating my Apple AirPods will take about 5 to 10 minutes.
- What do I need? My iPhone, at least 60% charged, or a computer. The username and password of my Apple ID.
Step 1: Find my iPhone settings
In the settings of my iPhone, I check if Find my iPhone is on. I go to Settings → Apple ID → iCloud → Find my iPhone and Send last location → On.
Step 2: I open the Find my iPhone app
Every iPhone automatically comes with the Find my iPhone app. I look for the Find my iPhone app.
Step 3: Log in with your Apple ID
I make sure that I have the username and password of my Apple ID ready.
Step 4: All devices
After I've logged in to the Find my iPhone application, I can see the map and all my devices. If my AirPods were connected to my device once, my AirPods are in the list of devices. I click my AirPods.
Step 5: Are my Apple AirPods online?
On the map, I can see where my AirPods are. Below the map, I can see all my connected devices via Find my iPhone. Each device has a colored circle in front of it. Every color has a certain meaning.
- A green ball means my AirPods are online. That also means the Bluetooth of my Apple Airpods is still on.
- A gray ball means my AirPods are offline. That means the batteries are empty, my AirPods are in the storage box, or they're out of range. The last known location of my offline AirPods is shown on the map.
- A blue ball indicates the device I'm using to look for my AirPods.
If my Apple AirPods got separated, you'll only see the location of one of the AirPods. I can look for the first AirPod, put it back in the storage box, and refresh the map in Find my iPhone. It will then locate the other AirPod.
Step 6: Play a sound
Playing a sound on my AirPods only works if I know my AirPods are online (a green ball) in the previous step. It doesn't work when my AirPods are offline (a gray ball).
If my AirPods are online
I look at my AirPods' location in the map and go to that location. In the Find my iPhone app, I click on My Apple AirPods and then on Tasks. I click on Play sound. My earbuds will now play a sound for 2 minutes. I I haven't found my AirPods in those 2 minutes, I can play the sound again. If my earbuds got separated, I can choose to play the sound on one AirPod and turn off the sound on the other one.
If my AirPods are offline
I look at the map and look for the last known location of my AirPods. Next, I go to that location to look for my earbuds.
Step 7: Can I hear the sound from my AirPod?
I heard the sound coming from my earbuds and found my Apple AirPods. I can turn off the sound and use my Apple Airpods again. If I couldn't play the sound because my earphones were offline, I can visit their last known location and look for them. If I can't find them there, I have to think long and hard about where they could be.