What is WiFi on a camera and how does it work?
What does wifi mean on my camera?
With WiFi on your camera you establish a wireless connection between your camera and your phone, tablet, computer, or printer. It's also possible to connect two cameras with each other via WiFi. The camera has its own WiFi network that transmits signals. You can find this network in the settings on the device that you want to connect to your camera. After making a WiFi connection, you no longer need a cable for exchanging recordings.
Thanks to the WiFi connection, you can safely store your photos outside your camera. You can do this via cloud services such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or iCloud. Most famous camera brands use apps with their own storage space to store your camera files. If you then lose your camera, your photos will be preserved. A full memory card is also a thing of the past. If your memory card is about to get full, just transfer some photos to the Cloud.
With a number of cameras, you use your phone as a remote control via the WiFi connection. On your phone's screen you can see what the camera sees. This is very useful if you want to take a group photo that you yourself are also on. You simply take the photo with your phone. A remote control is also useful if you want to take a photo from a low point of view. That way you don't have to lie on the floor with your camera.
How do I connect?
How you connect between your phone and the camera depends on the device that you have. For most camera brands you download a special app for making a WiFi connection. Below you can see for which brand you need which app. Your camera and your phone then provide clear instructions for establishing the connection.
- Olympus – Olympus Image Share
- Canon – Canon Camera Connect
- Nikon – Snapbridge
- Sony – Imaging Edge Mobile
- Fujifilm – Fujifilm Camera Remote
- Panasonic - Panasonic Image App
The benefits of WiFi at a glance
- By operating the camera with your phone you increase the functionality and ease of use.
- At your holiday destination, place high-quality photos directly on Facebook.
- Via WiFi you download apps that give your camera new functions.
Good to know
- The battery of your camera runs out faster if you make a WiFi connection between your camera and your smart device. Make sure you always have a second battery with you when you go out with your camera.
- If you don't need a password to make a connection, the network is not secure. This means that your recordings can be stolen. That's why you should always choose a secure network if possible.
- A large photo or video file naturally takes up a lot of space on your phone. Check the settings on your camera to see which file format you send. In the app you can usually also adjust the format.