Advice on cooling your house
A fan doesn't cool, but it does have a cooling effect. It brings down the apparent temperature because it moves the air. Compare it to a hot summer day with a breeze. That feels cooler than a hot summer day with no wind, even though the temperature is the same.
- Cools you down right away
- Lots of types, models, and styles to choose from.
- Relatively lightweight so easy to move.
- Only lowers the apparent temperature.
Portable air conditioners
A portable air conditioner cools and dehumidifies the air in a specific room. The ambient air is cooled with a refrigerant and is then blown back into the room, lowering the temperature in there. Portable air conditioner are compact in size and usually wheeled, making them easy to move. Most portable air conditioner have a setting for ventilation only, and some models can heat air too.
- Cools, dehumidifies, and purifies the air.
- A portable air conditioner is easy to move.
- Most portable air conditioner use a hose that you have to hang out of an ajar window or door.
Split air conditioners
A split air conditioner is a fixed element and has an indoor and an outdoor unit. Before you buy the air conditioner, you decide the room you want it in. Think for instance of your bedroom, living room, or office. There are 2 types of split unit air conditioners: one you can install yourself and one that you have installed by a professional air conditioner technician. Good to know: a split air conditioner doesn't just cool the room, it also dehumidifies, ventilates, and heats the room.
- Cools, dehumidifies, ventilates, and heats.
- The noise level of the indoor unit is minimal.
- You need technical knowhow to install a split air conditioner yourself.
An air cooler doesn't lower the temperature in your room, but has more of a refreshing effect. The ambient air isn't cooled using refrigerants, but with cold water. The air that comes out of an air cooler isn't all that cold, but still very refreshing. Air coolers can be used both indoors and outdoors, since they don't use a hose and are very portable.
- Very refreshing effect.
- An air cooler doesn't have a drain hose, so you can put it anywhere.
- Doesn't cool as well as an air conditioner does.
- During use, you have to ventilate the room, so the humidity won't get too high.