Advice on video cards
1. Graphic processor (GPU)
The graphics processor (GPU), also called chipset, determines the computing power and speed of the video card. Do you want to play games with the highest image quality? Then choose a video card with a powerful GPU. Two chip manufacturers that make these GPUs are AMD and Nvidia. The performance of the GPU is first determined by the type. A rule for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs: The higher the number in the name of the type, the more powerful it is. Then pay attention to the clock speed of the GPU, which is indicated in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz).
2. The memory
The working memory is the storage location of the graphics processor. The more memory can be stored, the more graphic processes can be executed. The amount of memory is indicated in megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). The speed of the memory is indicated in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz). The more memory and the higher the memory speed, the better the video card performs during gaming or when performing graphic work.
3. The connection options
- VGA: Via the VGA (Video Graphics Array) connection, the analogue image is transmitted from the video card to a monitor, beamer or other monitor. VGA is widely used when transmitting images to an analog display. Since the introduction of digital displays, a VGA connection is not optimal. The image has to be converted from digital, analogue and then back to digital. This results in loss in quality. Since VGA is still used often, video cards often have a VGA connection, in addition to the digital connections.
- S-Video: S-Video (TV out) is an old connection that is (almost) no longer present on current video cards. With an S-Video connection, it is possible to connect a video card to a monitor with an RCA connection using cinch plugs.
- DVI: DVI (Digital Visual Interface) is suitable for transmitting digital images without sound. Many monitors are equipped with a DVI connection, in addition to a VGA connection.
- HDMI: With an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) connection it is possible to digitally transmit audio in addition to digital images. In addition to monitors, many televisions also have an HDMI connection.
- DisplayPort: DisplayPort is the latest development in the field of video / audio throughput. A DisplayPort connection can be found more and more on monitors and other monitors. Via a DisplayPort it is possible, like with HDMI, to transmit audio and video in digital quality.
An actively cooled video card is equipped with one or more fans. The heat from the cooling ribs can be removed. Current video cards produce so much heat that they are provided with active cooling in most cases. Every manufacturer has his own vision on this and can also distinguish himself with the cooling, in the field of noise production and the efficiency of heat dissipation.
Passive cooling on a video card is currently not widely used by manufacturers. The heat dissipation depends on the cooling around the video card, since only a cooling block is used without fan (s). The biggest advantage of passive cooling is the noise production, which is (almost) inaudible, since no running fan (s) are used.
5. What else do you need?
Power supply (PSU)
At the standard connection to a motherboard, around 75 watts of power is available. This is not sufficient for many video cards to function properly. To send enough power to the video card, a direct connection with the power supply of your PC is required. With each video card we indicate what the recommended wattage is, so that you can select the correct power supply. You can also opt directly for the power supply in the combination offer.
A video card can produce beautiful images, but that does not work without the right cables. For the different connections on a video card, we have the necessary cables in our range. If you want to connect an HDMI cable to a DisplayPort or connect multiple monitors to one DisplayPort, you can use a video adapter.
The speed of your PC is determined by the least powerful component. If you have just purchased a nice and especially powerful video card, check out our range of (gaming) memory so you can get the most out of your video card.
Most motherboards have an audio output. Are you planning to produce music or do you want the best sound during gaming, then choose a separate sound card, so you do not miss anything.
Do you have additional questions or would you like more advice on video cards? Our customer service is available 7 days a week.