How does Samsung Smart Switch work?
What is Samsung Smart Switch?
You have bought a new Samsung smartphone or tablet, but there is one problem: all your contacts, messages, music, photos and videos are still on your old device. With Samsung Smart Switch you can easily transfer this data to your new device. It does not matter if you switch from another Samsung smartphone, Android phone, iPhone or tablet. Transferring your data with Samsung Smart Switch chance in various ways: via your computer, a cable or wireless.
Via your computer
You can easily transfer data from your old device to your new Samsung phone via your Windows computer or Mac. This is how:
- Install the Smart Switch software on your computer.
- First connect your old phone and backup your files.
- Connect your new phone or tablet to your computer.
- Select the files you want to transfer.
- Click 'import', and your data will be transferred.
Via a cable
With a USB On The Go cable (OTG) you transfer data from your old device to your Samsung smartphone. That is how it works:
- Connect your micro usb, usb c or lightning cable to the OTG cable.
- Connect your smartphone to your device via the OTG cable.
- Download the Smart Switch app on both devices
- Select which data you want to transfer.
- Click on 'import' and the data will be sent to your new device.
Via WiFi Direct
Is your old phone an Android smartphone? Then with these instructions you transfer your data wirelessly via Wifi Direct:
- Connect the devices to Wi-Fi.
- Download the Smart Switch app on both phones.
- On both devices, tick 'Android device'.
- 'send and receive' appears on your screen. Press 'send' with your old device.
- Select files that you want to transfer.
- Click on 'import' and the data will be sent to your new phone or tablet.
Via the cloud
Is your old Apple device? Then transfer your data via iCloud. Back up your iCloud account before you use Smart Switch. This is how it works:
- Connect both devices to Wi-Fi.
- Download the Smart Switch app on your Samsung smartphone.
- Check 'iOS device'.
- Log in with your iCloud username and password.
- Select the files that you want to transfer.
- Click on 'import' and the data will be downloaded.